Wednesday 28 April 2010

Career dilemma.

Ok so i'm looking at paid theatre jobs online but all i can think of is how uncertain this ground is, how you get work for as long as a show lasts and then you can be out of work for who knows how long. I think i really want to be a stage manager, and if i didnt have a full time job to do as well it would be so much easier, but it feels like a huge scary step to take.

Interesting how as soon as i start looking I get paralysed with fear. It's like my dad's words literally come back to haunt me. He was always telling me how much theatre is uncertain and i should get a good steady safe job. Guess that stuck with me. I started job hunting today and found all these cool websites and info and i wanted to jump into my laptop and join them. I remember meeting caroline at work, a stage manager.

What it all boils down to is i'm scared. I'm scared of taking a risk, leaving my job, having no money, not being able to support myself, ultimatley having to leave london.

How do i pursue a stage management career and survive??? That is the question. That is THE question.

I should start doing the lottery.

getintotheatre.org. Good website for jobs and advice.



No comments:

Post a Comment